Self limiting beliefs are a group of thought processes and feelings that hold us back and cause us to maintain the status quo. They are normal – the key is to be aware of them so you can be at choice.
Here are some terms related to Self Limiting Beliefs:
- Negative self talk
- Inner critic
- Comfort zone
- Lack of confidence
How to determine when Self Limiting Beliefs are present:
- There is a lot of struggle – “this will be hard”
- You are stuck
- The same issue presents itself over and over
- You use words such as “I can’t”, “I need to”, or “I have to” vs. “I can” ,“I will”, or I want to”
- There is a fear of failure or “What will people think?”
Here are some ways to deal with Self Limiting Beliefs:
- Identify it – realize that a self limiting belief is present. Then choose to move past it
- Antidote using a prior positive experience – such as “I ran a marathon – I can certainly do this”
- Challenge yourself – “I am bigger than this barrier”; “I have it within me to move beyond this doubt”
- Future pull – “My vision is really important to me – when I focus on it, I will find a way”
- Different perspective – Look at the situation through the eyes of success. “Act as if” what you intend to do is already a reality.
For more resources, see the Library topic Personal and Professional Coaching.
Pam Solberg-Tapper MHSA, PCC – I spark entrepreneurial business leaders to set strategy, take action, and get results. How can I help you? Contact me at CoachPam@cpinternet.com ~ Linkedin ~ 218-340-3330