Listening is the primary tool in the coach’s toolbox. It is the foundation for developing rapport and producing an effective coaching session that yields results.
Here are 5 tips that will ramp-up your listening skills and enhance your communication:
1. Focus like a cat – notice how a cat has laser focus on their interests. They are keenly aware of what they hear and what they see. They are fully concentrating on their target.
2. Listen for key words – pay attention to the significant/important words you are hearing from the speaker – these are the doorways for understanding what is being said.
3. Repeat what you hear in your mind – when listening silently repeat each word that is said in order to stay connected to the message. When you notice your mind wonder, do it again.
4. Beware of assumptions – ask for clarification when you do not understand what is being said. Making an assumption can lead to misunderstandings.
5. Be authentic – others can tell if you are genuinely interested in what they have to say. They are able to tell if you are “really listening” or “faking listening”. When you “fake it” trust erodes and rapport diminishes.
What listening tips work well for you?
For more resources, see the Library topic Personal and Professional Coaching.
Pam Solberg-Tapper MHSA, PCC – I spark entrepreneurial business leaders to set strategy, take action, and get results. How can I help you? Contact me at CoachPam@cpinternet.com ~ Linkedin ~ 218-340-3330