A recent post on the LinkedIn group- Career Thought Leaders Consortium – asked for the most indispensable career and job search books.
Below are must read books!
Some are for helping people in job search; others are for those that are trying to figure out what ‘s next in their career. And several are on career satisfaction and career advancement. However, all are written to shake up your thinking about job search and career management.
The Top 15:
- Don’t Send a Resume by Jeff Fox
- Job Search Magic by Susan Whitcomb
- The Career Activist’s Republic by Peter Weddle
- What Color is Your Parachute 2011 by Richard Bolles
- Go Out and Hire Your Next Employer by Charles Irish
- The New Leader’s 100 Day Action Plan by George Brant
- 101 Ways to Land a Job in Troubled Times by Jay Blocks
- Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0. by Jay Conrad Levinson
- Work Strong: Your Personal Career Fitness System by Peter Weddle
- Career Distinction: Stand Out By Building Your Personal Brand, William Arruda
- Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career Herminia Ibarra
- Knock ’em Dead, Secrets and Strategies for Success in an Uncertain World by Martin Yates
- Ground of Your Own Choosing: Winning Strategies for Finding & Creating Work by Beverly Ryle
- Work with Passion in Midlife and Beyond: Reach Your Full Potential and Make the Money You Need by Nancy Anderson
- Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul and Barbara Tieger
Career Success Tip
Don’t manage your career in an information vacuum. As pace of change accelerates, everyone’s career will be profoundly affected. Whatever your career was yesterday, it’s changed today and will change tomorrow. Seek out resources – people, different points of view, the latest research – that will give you the edge in your job search and career.
Readers, what books would you recommend? What are some of the “ah-has” you discovered? What actions have you taken on these tips?
Do you want to develop Career Smarts?
- For more resources, see the Library topic Career Management.
- Start with the Career Success System.
- Sign up for Career Power: 101 success tips.
- Fast track your career. Be part of a Success Team.
- Need a speaker? Get the Edge Keynotes-webinars-workshops.
- Find career and leadership boosters in the Smart Moves Blog.
- Copyright © 2011 Marcia Zidle career and leadership coach.