Make sure your career is not stranded on an island called, “Someday I’ll…” If you want something, don’t just think about it or talk about it. Figure out a way to make it happen.
The first step is goal setting.
- What can you do right now to enrich your present job or assignment?
- Are there opportunities for internal promotion, lateral moves or even realignment?
- What are some external options for challenge, variety, or greater personal satisfaction?
- What internal training or external seminars can you participate in for your professional development?
- Are there off-the-job experiences that can enhance your portfolio of skills and your reputation as a leader?
The next step is action planning.
Napoleon Hill, motivation author, said: “To become successful you must be a person of action. Merely to know is not sufficient. It is necessary both to know and to do.” So start taking charge of your career. What are some things you can do? Be specific: Who, what, when, where, and how.
- Identify one or two things you will do in the coming week to take charge of your career.
- Identify three things you will do within the next month to take charge of your career.
- Identify five things you will do in the next three to six months to take charge of your career.
- What resources do I have to help me along the way?
- What obstacles may get in the way? How can I overcome them?
- How can I reward myself and others once I’ve made it happen?
Career planning never stops.
That’s because the world around us is constantly changing. New and different employment opportunities will arise and some old ones will disappear. Also, we will evolve into different people with different career objectives, aspirations and motivations. Therefore, flexible career plans are necessary.
What changes do you see occurring in your organization? Your industry? Your Profession? Will you be prepared or surprised?
Do you want to develop Career Smarts?
- For more resources, see the Library topic Career Management.
- Start with the Career Success System.
- Sign up for Career Power: 101 success tips.
- Fast track your career. Be part of a Success Team.
- Need a speaker? Get the Edge Keynotes-webinars-workshops.
- Find career and leadership boosters in the Smart Moves Blog.
- Copyright © 2010 Marcia Zidle career and leadership coach.