For-Profit-Specific Business Planning
The following books are recommended because of their highly practical nature and often because they include a wide range of information about this Library topic. To get more information about each book, just click on the image of the book. Also, a "bubble" of information might be displayed. You can click on the title of the book in that bubble to get more information, too.
Nonprofit-Specific Business Planning
If you are starting a nonprofit organization, then you would be better to get a book on nonprofit strategic planning, than a book on business planning. Nonprofit business plan books are better focused on a particular program or service, than on the entire organization. A strategic planning book is better for focusing on an entire organization.
- Field Guide to Nonprofit Program Design, Marketing and Evaluation
- by Carter McNamara, published by Authenticity Consulting, LLC. Nonprofit business planning often is focused on a specific program, rather than on the overall organization. (Planning focused on the overall organization is usually strategic planning.) There are few books, if any, that explain how to carefully plan, organize and develop a nonprofit program. Also, too many books completely separate the highly integrated activities of planning, marketing and evaluating programs. This book integrates all three into a comprehensive, straightforward approach that anyone can follow in order to provide high-quality programs with strong appeal to funders. Includes many online forms that can be downloaded.
- Venture Forth! The Essential Guide to Starting a Money-Making Business in Your Nonprofit Organization
- by Rolfe Larson, published by Fieldstone Alliance. Provide step-by-step guidelines to identify and implement the best ideas to generate more revenue to further your nonprofit mission. Ideas can come from current or new services -- many nonprofits are already providing critical services from which they could generate more revenue. The movement of social entrepreneurship, including earned-income generation, is becoming a must for every nonprofit to consider. Many funders greatly appreciate nonprofits generating more income -- this book shows you how!
- Field Guide to Nonprofit Strategic Planning and Facilitation
- by Carter McNamara, published by Authenticity Consulting, LLC. If you intend your nonprofit business planning to cover the entire organization, then you probably need strategic planning as much as, if not more than, business planning. This book provides step-by-step guidelines to customize and facilitate planners to implement the best strategic planning process to suit the particular nature and needs of their nonprofit. This is one of the few books, if any, that explains how to actually facilitate planning. Includes many online forms that can be downloaded and used by planners.